Metagenomics is a relatively new but fast growing field within environmental biology directed at obtaining knowledge on genomes of environmental microbes as well as of entire microbial communities.
To identify metabolic and other functional capabilities of the microorganisms, metagenomics sequencing by shotgun sequencing strategies aims to explore all most all genes from a community and can produce detailed metabolic and functional profiles. With the sequencing technologies improving steadily, generating large amounts of sequence is becoming routine.
Eurofins Genomics offers meta gDNA extraction from various environmental sources to shotgun library preparation and data generation using high end Illumina instruments.
- Meta gDNA: Submit 1-5 µg of high quality RNA-free meta-genomic DNA from soil / environmental source, NanoDrop A260/280 ratio >1.8; A260/230=2.0-2.2; and at a concentration of ~50 ng/µl.
- Soil: 10-20 gm soil samples should be provided in cool pack.
- Sludge/Water: 100-200 ml of water or sludge samples shipped in cool pack to eurofins facility.
- Plant/ Human Microbiome: 10-20 gm samples should be provided in cool pack.
Sample Quality Control:
- High quality meta-genomic DNA will be isolated from the supplied sample using manual or commercially available DNA isolation kit.
- The qualification and quantification of gDNA will be carried out by agarose gel electrophoresis and NanoDrop/Qubit fluorometer analysis, respectively.
- Depending on quantity of the DNA indexed paired end meta genome library will be prepared using TruSeq Nano DNA library preparation kit or Nextera XT library preparation kit from illumina.
- Library validation will be carried out using High Sensitivity D1000 Screen tape using Agilent Tape Station.
- Prepared library will be sequenced using 2 x 150 bp paired end sequencing using latest sequencing chemistry on NextSeq 500 or 2 x 125 bp paired end sequencing using latest sequencing chemistry on HiSeq 2500.
- Sequence data (base call files or bcl files) generated from the sequencer are de-multiplexed if required and converted to FASTQ files.
- Raw data will be available for download as a compressed archive of FASTQ files for each sample.
- Raw data can be post processed upon request.
- Comprehensive compiled report and data set in Pen Drive or Hard Disk.
- 5-7 weeks after arrival of your samples and all necessary information. It depends upon data size, scope, technology selected, number of samples and complexity of the project. The TAT is offered expecting no biological or technical difficulties for processing of all project samples.